12/16/08

Today's Tips from Mary Hunt

Here are some great practical tips from Mary Hunt at the Everyday Cheapskate:

In a recent column, I answered a question about how long to keep spices. I got a flood of tips in response, detailing clever ways to keep track of those seasonings. This was one of the more efficient suggestions, helpful not only in tracking dates but also in actually finding the spice you need quickly.

SPICY ORGANIZING. When I open a jar of spices, I use a permanent marker to write the date on the lid and on the label so I know how long the jar has been opened. I even write the name of the spice on the lid and alphabetize them in a little box so that I don't have to lift each bottle to see the label name. Bonnie, Georgia

DISH SOAP DOUBLES. I purchase a quality brand of dishwashing liquid, such as Palmolive or Dawn. At home, I pour about half of the soap into a separate jar and fill the bottle back up with water. Then, I slosh it around to mix the water and soap. It works even better than the original, thicker soap because you use less and it suds better. Judy, Oklahoma

CREDIT FREEZE. I completely stopped credit card companies from sending me offers. I mailed every single offer back to the company in their prepaid envelopes for about two months, and wrote on each one to please remove me from their mailing list. I do not get offers anymore. Maralee, Arkansas

CEREAL SAVER. Have you ever bought a box of cereal and found that your family does not like it? Instead of throwing good cereal away, buy a bag of marshmallows and make after-school snacks like Rice Krispies Treats®, only with a different cereal. Cereals like Kix work wonderfully, or you can use raisin bran types. Just take care not to break the flakes. For a sweeter snack, mix in some M&M's. This has saved me from wasting unwanted cereal and the outcome is not much different from the bars you buy for almost $3 a box. Lisa, New York

CONSERVATION KEY. We recently installed a hot water recycling unit (approx. $400) and set the timer to circulate the water at specified times throughout the day. Now, when we get in the shower or use the sink, hot water is at our fingertips immediately. That saves our precious resource from rushing down the drain while we wait for hot water. Ruth S., email

BLOODY BATTLE. I found a cheap way to get blood out of clothing. My husband had a shirt that got blood on it. I found it three months later and poured hydrogen peroxide on it. I let it sit for five minutes. Then, I washed it with soap and cold water and not a trace of blood was left! Leslie, email

CRAFTY PLACEMATS. My granddaughter is not yet two, but she is learning to eat at the table on a plate. I've made several placemats for her out of the foam kind of shelf liner that keeps things from slipping. Now her plate doesn't scoot around as she uses her fork and spoon. Artistic types could cut the mats into fun shapes like animals or stars. Evelyn, Illinois

PRACTICAL PEELS. I peel oranges in a long ribbon and hang them to dry. They make great fire starters and they smell wonderfully as they burn. Irene L., email

Mary Signature

No comments: