8/13/08

Ideas on Organizing

I was looking for something in the bathroom today and I thought I'd share with you how I organize my bathroom. It's funny, we all have certain things that we do well and it helps us when we focus on the good things instead of the bad things. For instance, no matter how disorganized I was in my house and other areas, I was always fabulously organized when it came to my purse and diaper bags.

I am notably picky about the type of purses I buy and then once I find one, I use it until it literally falls apart. I have to have one that is exactly the right size, not too big and not too small, and it has to have certain pockets. I have to have one for my keys, one for my cell phone, my MP3 player and a large pocket for my checkbook, calendar, and address book. It makes me feel good when I have everything I need with me and I can lay hands on whatever I need within 3 seconds. My diaper bags were the same way - I could always lay hands on the snacks, or a clean outfit or an extra binkie.

That said, I've tried to expand that same organizational skill into other areas of my house. For instance, my bathroom cabinets. I have everything very precisely organized. I keep all of my cold remedies in a ziplock bag under the sink. Same thing for anything stomach-related - antacids, Pepto-Bismol, etc. I have one spot in the drawer for "topicals". Any kind of skin cream or lotion. Another spot in the same drawer for all kinds of elastic bandages and wraps or braces. Then I have a separate drawer that is completely devoted to First Aid supplies. If someone is bleeding, or has a burn, they don't have time to dig around in four different drawers, so they always know where to go for these types of things.
Hope this helps you.

No comments: