8/20/08

Top 10 Reasons Why I Love Flylady

I particularly liked this testimonial because it very much mirrors my experiences with Flylady. I don't do all of the things, like the Evening Routine and I've never managed to get on board with the Control Journal, but some things like the decluttering and the 15 minute routines have been a life saver for me.


These are the top ten things I've learned from Flylady since I joined 17 months ago. They are not in any particular order because every single one is very important to me if I want to keep on FLYing.

1. Evening routine is essential to having a good morning.
2. Looking at and taking care of the mail keeps me from building a hotspot. It also keeps me on target about paying bills on time and not having to pay interest for bills not paid on time.
3. Doing one load of laundry a day and putting it away is so much easier than forgetting about it only to spend the whole day doing and dreading it once a week.
4. I reap the rewards of watering my flowers and pulling out the dead ones 15 minutes at a time. Everyone admires my flower garden and pays me lots of compliments which make me feel so good and my house looks great.
5. Cleaning out the refrigerator and pantry once a week (the day before garbage day) is helping me to not buy a duplicate of what I already have and I'm actually starting to enjoy cooking.
6. Having a menu for the week is the best thing I could do for myself and my family. I no longer have to think about what we're having to eat daily. I write my meals down for the week on desk day. I write a list of what I need for the week on the same paper that I jotted down things that I have run out of during the week. What a blessing this has been!! We only have fast food once a month now instead of twice a week.
7. Having a control journal is essential. I use to have papers and post it notes everywhere. A paper for daily routines. A paper for passwords. Phone numbers written on post it notes everywhere (in my desk, in my purse, and on scrap pieces of paper laying on my kitchen counter). A To Do List for the day. I now have EVERYTHING in my control journal. I can now find any number I need all in one place, my control journal.
8. Having and using a calendar. I now never miss any appointments or meetings or days when I help out in my son's class. I write down EVERYTHING in my calendar... birthdays, weddings, children's projects for school, functions at school, how long I exercised that day, when the lawn company cut the grass, when I got a manicure, haircut, etc. etc.. I mean every single thing that is going on in my life is written in my calendar.
9. DECLUTTERING. Oh, that word is so important to having peace in my home. I have so much time for ME because I don't have to deal with clutter anymore. I have only kept things in my home that make me smile and that I actually use. I have decluttered every part of my home in the past 17 months. I couldn't do it all one a day. It took babysteps. A lot of babysteps.


Actually, in the beginning it was very hard to part with some of the things that I owned. I did not know how to declutter. When I would look at an item I would be asking myself the wrong questions like "How much did I pay for this?" or "Which store did I buy this at?" or I would look at the name brand to decipher whether or not I should toss it thinking oh, I paid too much for that to get rid of it. Now, when I declutter I ask myself a whole different set of questions. I ask myself if I have used or worn that particular item in the past year. Does the item make me smile when I look at it? Does it make me feel good or bad when I wear it? Do I really need two?I have a whole different outlook on shopping. I also ask myself questions when I buy something now like do I really need it? Do I have one like it at home? Can I get alot of use out of it or is it something that I will use or wear once and forget about it. I try to get rid of something at home when I buy something new to keep my closet or home from overflowing with STUFF.It is so much easier to clean without clutter being in the way to frustrate me. It definitely takes less time to clean and organize since I have a home for everything I own.


10. You have taught me how to love myself with all my imperfections. I feel like you are my therapist. I use to be a do it right or not do it at all type of person. I have learned that housework done incorrectly still blesses my home. I never believed that before. I would spend 7 hours cleaning the entire house because I thought that is the right way to clean. I never believed in just swishing and swiping. I had to clean every nook and cranny or I would not think it's clean. My house is always clean now that I have adapted your system. In the old days (pre Flylady) my house would only look clean for one day (the day I spent cleaning it for 7 hours) and messy for the next two weeks because I was so tired from cleaning that I dreaded doing it for the next couple of weeks, until I couldn't stand it anymore. I would clean here and there, but had hotspots everywhere until I major cleaned again. I admit, I had too much stuff and not a place for everything that is why I had hotspots because I didn't know what to do with the stuff.

I cry everytime you send a God Breeze or a testimonial about perfection. I do not want to be or act perfect anymore. I too, like you will not use that word anymore. I hate that word. It is so much more freeing to not obsess and do what I can 15 minutes at a time. Amazingly, I see more results that way.


May God bless you in everything you do. I believe that you are an angel sent from Heaven to help us Flybabies who really need guidance. You have taught me so much and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for EVERYTHING you've done for me. I am so glad I found you and I am proud to be one of your Flybabies.


FLYing High in Michigan

No comments: